So I haven't commented on anything related to the Chick-Fil-A controversy and their statement on gay marriage. I know what I believe as a Christian, and I don't feel that posting what I think about the situation all over the social media world is going to further the Kingdom in any way. I am very much supportive of those who own Chick-Fil-A for standing on what their company was founded on. And if you know the Haydens at all, we LOVE their food. (Jesse proposed over a Chick-Fil-A dinner picnic!)
However...
Today on my way home from Annie's vet appointment, I passed the Cool Springs Chick-Fil-A. If you don't know the area, Cool Springs is a very wealthy part of the Nashville area. All of the shopping you can ask for is in this one area. Jesse and I have yet to figure out what the people in this area really do for a living. It is always crowded and no one seems to have a job to get to, yet their houses are huge and cars brand new. The Chick-Fil-A today looked much like all of the pictures I have seen posted on facebook today with a long line of people wrapped around the sidewalk and cars backed up into neighboring parking lots. And then I noticed the man standing just a few feet from the building in the same spot I always see him. Since it is illegal to solicit for money on the side of the road, the homeless community in Nashville writes and prints their own newspaper to sell on the streets to those passing by. The newspaper provides jobs for the homeless in the community. Every single day there are people in the Cool Springs intersection trying to sell "The Contributor" to those who live in this wealthy area. And it just so happens, Chick-Fil-A is on this busy intersection. SO today it broke my heart to see this man, someone who Jesus himself would have went to and loved on, standing in the 100 degree weather only feet from "Christians" waiting in line for chicken.
When are we as Christians going to get it? We are not going to bring any bit of glory to our Savior by standing in line to eat in an air conditioned restaurant that believes the same as we do. Jesus himself was among the sinners making a difference in their lives to the point where they wanted to follow him. Who today went and made an actual difference in the homosexual community besides making them feel hated? I have an uncle and dear friends who are gay and who I love very much. There sins are NO greater than mine, and when I start claiming to be a perfect Christian, please punch me.
So if you are standing in line today, take a look around and see who you can be loving on. Don't let what we have been called to do as Christians be blinded by that tasty chicken..
Interested in "The Contributor"? http://thecontributor.org/
No comments:
Post a Comment